Outspan Teaching and Referral Hospital has stood out from the crowd FOR offering world class services to all cancer patients. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) has accredited the Outspan Hospital as a cancer center that has acquired scientific leadership in laboratory and clinical research, in addition to serving their communities and the broader public by integrating training and education for biomedical researchers and health care professionals in cancer matters. With a Head of State Commendation on her name since 2007, Saraphina Gichohi has managed to successfully steer the Cancer Unit the hospital. As a trainer in various institutions inclusive of the sister institution the Outspan Medical College, Ms. Saraphina developed a passion towards oncology and palliative care. At our hospital, oncologists use information from test results through a physical exam and several tests carried out to determine how far the cancer has spread. This tests may include blood samples, lab tests and imaging scans. “With the installation of the most powerful Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) center in our hospital, it is now easier to make detailed images of the affected area with the powerful magnets and radio waves by our machines. Other X-ray services include the Computerized tomography (CT) scan and the Ultrasound,” said Ms. Saraphina. Another test that is very familiar to the public is biopsy for histology by a pathologist in the hospital to determine whether it is malignant or benign. Cancer treatment solely depends on the stage of the disease the patient is in. This treatments include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and hormonal therapy. “At Outspan Hospital, we offer surgical treatments, both palliative and curative treatment, chemotherapy and hormonal therapy with the patient’s consent but we also offer our own advice for the wellness of our client,” Ms. Saraphina added. With a very compassionate team of specialists in the cancer unit, the patients are able to feel at home as they receive wholistic care in the hospital. “Every Wednesday, we have clinics for the new and old patients which helps us as their medics to check on their progress as we admit new patients into our facility,” said Ms. Saraphina. With the accreditation of the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF), the patients are well covered for any treatment. The Outspan Hospital has been taking the initiative to educate the community through outreach programs that take place once in a month. “Thanks to the outreach programs, we have seen a large turnout of people coming for screening services to know their health status before it is too late,” said Ms Saraphina.
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping the mouth clean, and it is considered to be the best means of prevention of cavities (dental caries), gingivitis, periodontitis, and other dental disorders. At Outspan Hopsital, we ensure that we solve your oral hygiene in the best way possible and at affordable rates. With the installation of world-class equipment, our qualified specialists are able to deliver the best dental services and procedures within the country. The OH resident specialist who is the Head of Department, Dr. Martin Kariuki, mentioned that they offer a wide range of outpatient and inpatient dental services that include:
- Dental surgery - handle conditions and injuries that affect the head, neck, mouth, jaw and face.
- Pediatric dentistry - Baby dentistry, dental braces
- Restorative dentistry- White Fillings, Root canal treatment, Temporary and permanent Crowns, Bridges and implants
- Prosthetic dentistry - replace missing teeth and cover tooth defects to improve appearance and function e.g. Full/partial Dentures and Obturators/feeding plates.
- Aesthetic dentistry - Teeth whitening / bleaching, Veneers, Masking for fluorosis.
- Dental hygiene- Full mouth scaling and polishing and Root planning. “Even with all those services in place, the most exclusive equipment that we have is the Orthopantomagram (OPG) machine which is a panoramic scanning dental X-ray of the upper and lower jaw.” He said. The machine is an amazing diagnostic tool for detecting irregular teeth, cysts, tumors and infections. “Another machine that has set our dental unit apart from others is the Endo motor machine which is a modernized equipment for root canal procedures. This advanced technology provides more precision and reliability while being a quieter and faster procedure.” Said Dr. Kariuki. Other unique procedures in the dental unit include dental implantation which is the replacement of tooth roots. “The good thing is that most of the services we offer are covered by NHIF except the Temporary and permanent Crowns, Bridges and implants procedures which can only be covered by your respective insurance company or cash.” Dr. Kariuki commented. With 2 functional operating units (surgical/general), the department is well manned by 4 members of staff; Maxillofacial Surgeon Dr. Emily Nyamu, Pediatric Dentist Dr. June Njama, Community Oral Health Officer Dr. Cynthia Akoho and her assistant Dr. Veronica Njeri.